Monday, July 5, 2010

12. Patio Chairs

Today was a holiday, so I'm still waiting to hear about a closing date.  In the mean  time, I'm keeping busy with planning, collecting, and daydreaming about what Grandview is going to look like when it's "finished".

As far as planning, I can't really go any further on that until after closing.  I did send an email to my son Steven, asking if he and one of his buddies would be available to help me with my fence in a couple of weeks.

One of the things I "collected" this weekend was a heat gun.  This is an electrical power tool that is similar to a hair dryer, but that generates a more intense heat.  It can be used to loosen old paint without chemicals, and I've never tried it but thought it would be a good idea.  The guy selling it wanted $20 but I stalled until he said $10 - then he threw in a nice Craftsman croissant wrench that I had been admiring for free.  Good thing because I found out later that a brand new heat gun was only $22!!

Since I would like to use this tool when I begin to work on the window frames at Grandview, I have also done some investigation into how to handle lead paint.  It stands to reason that in a house this old, there will be some, even if it's buried under layers of other paint.  Lead paint can be dangerous if chewed, or the dust inhaled.  If it's under other paint, you don't have to worry about it, unless you disturb it in some way (sanding, scraping or wearing away what's on top).   I purchased a test kit that I will take with me on my next trip there, to test several areas, particularly window sills.  I've learned enough that I don't have to be scared - but if I plan to do anything besides paint over these areas, I will have to use precautions.  If I start to strip window frames, for example, I will need to use a respirator, and a vaccum with a hepa filter, and generate as little dust as possible.  Any scrapings need to be kept together and bagged up, the area being wiped down with a wet cloth as often as possible.  The heat gun will be ideal, because it will generate a minimum of dust and I hope not to do any sanding at all before I repaint.  This is the kind of thing that can be daunting, but again - it's just a matter of facing the problem and learning how to handle it.  I'll let you know after I perform the lead tests... maybe I'll get lucky.
 

I have also been working on some patio chairs.  I purchased four of these for $5 each at a yard sale months ago - the cushions were in terrible shape but I liked the look of the chairs.   You might see a chair like this and think it's garbage - but you'd be mistaken!!  Re-covering, or even making new seats for a chair like this is so simple, and the result is something so unique, no one else will ever have a set exactly like it.  The first thing to do is create a pattern, and cut four pieces of plywood - I had some leftover from another construction project.  Then I had to purchase some fabric, and some thick batting that I would use as the cushion on top of the plywood. The fabric is wrapped around the batting and the wood and stapled to the back using a heavy duty staple gun.  Once it is stapled all around, the chair pad can be affixed to the metal chair using four screws, as shown.






I think the finished chair is cute as heck, and I'll have four of them for the back porch when I'm done.  With fabric and batting, the four of them cost about $15 each.

I also bought a few cleaning items I'll need right away, and picked up some towels at a thrift store to use for rags.   A few things turned up for free!

Balance forward:  $422

$10  heat gun and crescent wrench
$6  lead paint test kit
$60  patio chairs
$11  mop and broom
$20  misc cleaning supplies
$0   whole box of tupperware containers (thanks Bobbie!)

Remainder:  $315

1 comment: