Tuesday, July 20, 2010

22. New Front Porch Plan

Great news:  Dave came back with a price from his supplier of $3.61 per lineal foot.  This is cypress that has been milled to exactly match what is on the house.  I need about 125 lf to complete the porch project, but I'm ordering 300 lf to get a price break - smaller quantities are $4.94per lf.  So I'm spending a little more right now, but it's a savings of around $400 overall - and I'm sure I will use the siding at some point in this adventure.  I placed the order today, and it should be ready in about a week, plenty of time to have it on site when Rob starts the front door project.

Speaking of the front door project.  I've been doing a little daydreaming (a natural state for me) about how to do that front porch.  This is how it looks right now.  I've already told you that the door on the right side is going to be removed, and the plan was just to close up the opening with that super-cypress-siding I'm purchasing.  But then I started thinking about moving the light fixture, and the big blank wall... what about finding a small stained glass window to put there?  Duke suggested a porthole, since my daughter just found an authentic old brass porthole at a thrift store... imagine throwing it open and saying "WHO GOES THERE?".   Eventually the "aha" moment came and I decided to cut the door in half, so I can use the window part, wibbly glass and all, in the new wall.  I will make a design and paint it with stained glass paints.   Won't that be a fun project?  Below is the lamely-photoshopped hypothesis of how it will look.  Just for planning - come on, quit laughing.

That will allow room inside for the couch against that wall - directly across from the fireplace.  I haven't shown you any pictures of the inside yet - you must be dying!  I have to save something to keep you interested, don't I?  And you can share the sensation with me that things are moving like molasses... when are we going to get past the front door!?

OK - I'll throw you a bone.  This is the fireplace.  Apparently someone thought it would be a good idea to cover the existing brick with slate tile.  This is going to be chipped off, and I am going to do my best to restore the brick - it will probably end up being painted but that's ok.  So stay tuned folks and one day you will get to see THAT fascinating process.

2 comments:

  1. Hey. I love how you clipped the background out of the lamps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know how to do that... background is still there. I lassoed it, then flipped it horiz. and skewed it until it looked like it was supposed to be on that wall. sort of. I'm actually re-thinking that whole thing because I think the city will require hurricane-proof glass or the like.

    ReplyDelete