Friday, July 2, 2010

10. Wheeling and Dealing

This morning I headed out to one yard sale that I had seen on Craigslist.  This particular one seemed kind of manly, with a lot of tools -- and I assumed that a manly-type yard sale wouldn't be daunted by a little rain.  I was right - there were a couple of guys and a bunch of Harley stuff, and some tools for sale under a tarpy tent thing.  I looked everything over, but I had my eye on a 25' extension ladder that was leaning up against the house.  I always take my dog Roscoe to yard sales.  Since I'm a bit of a hermit, and hate to leave the house, this is our big social day out.  Roscoe loves it, and most people really enjoy visiting with him (he especially loves it when there are kids who are allowed to play with him).  I take him wherever I can - I tell people he is a service dog that I need because I am socially challenged.  Is that so far from the truth?  This shot was taken of Roscoe on his first trip to the beach where he decided that "if you can't drink the water, why swim in it?"  I hope eventually he'll change his mind.

I asked the guy how much he wanted for the big ladder ($150-$200 would be the expected retail price).   He said $25.   I let them play with Roscoe for a few minutes - I didn't say anything right away - then I said "Roscoe thinks I should offer $20."  Can you believe it?  I can't even believe I said it.  I have to say I credit this blog with emboldening me to save as much money as possible on this project - I just love coming back to you and saying "guess what I got today?!"  The guy said ok.  Then the two of them spent 15 minutes making sure the ladder was appropriately strapped into the bed of my truck -- I just watched and said helpful things like "you look like you know what you're doing" etc. The ladder will be pressed into service almost immediately since Jake is going to help me install motion-sensor lights in a couple of locations around the house, and in the back that's two stories up.

I also ordered a front door handle set today on Amazon.com.  I had priced them at Home Depot, so I knew what I was looking for - and Amazon had the same one for about $30 less, with free shipping.  Whenever I order on Amazon I go through my local Public Radio station's website.  There's a link to get to Amazon from there, and apparently Amazon credits them whenever I buy something, so I'm making a donation at the same time.  I do love NPR.  Your's might do the same - worth looking into!  There is the possibility that I could, in time, find a used handle set at a garage or thrift sale, but in my experience, the only door hardware I see is that "golden" stuff they call brass finish, which I just can't stomach.  I wanted to have the hardware ready to go when Rob gets to the job in a couple of weeks.

Aside from that, the only other thing I did for Grandview is make an appointment with ADT to put in a monitored security system once I close on the house next week.  I made an appointment for Thursday afternoon, which I can adjust when I actually find out my closing date.  Since I won't be living at the house, I think it's important to have some way of knowing if something happens there, and I think I can get a basic system for around $30 per month.  We'll see.

There is a police substation in a cute little "Mayberry-esque" building less than two blocks from Grandview.  I plan to introduce myself there, and let them know what I'm doing, and that I am doing it by myself.  I want them to know who I am, what my truck looks like, and when I am staying overnight.  Eventually I'll get to know the neighbors and the neighborhood - but in the beginning it's just nice to know that the officer on duty might just stop in to say hello or drive by to check on the place when I'm not there.

Tomorrow is Saturday, so I hope to hit some more yard sales.  I'll let you know how that goes!


Balance forward:  $442

$20  25' extension ladder
Remainder:  $422

No comments:

Post a Comment