Saturday, July 10, 2010

15. Fencing

What a day!  I'm posting this at 1:00 am because I crashed so early now I'm awake after a four hour nap.

I had originally planned to take Roscoe with me today, since I knew I would be gone all day I wasn't sure how many shoes or remote controls I wanted to sacrifice.  He is getting better, but he has a habit of "rearranging" things in the house when I'm gone.  Some of that is just moving stuff from one area to another, but occasionally there is a casualty.  The last was one of a great pair of wedge sandals I had just picked up - fortunately I did get to wear them once.  One of the benefits to shopping at thrift stores is when something gets destroyed it's not the end of the world.   Well, my neighbor Bobbie called me this morning, and knowing what a big day I had, she generously offered to babysit Roscoe at her house - Roscoe and her little shih-poo Bradlee are buds.  Thanks to her, I got everything done on the list and then some.  My other doggie Rufus is older, and would do fine at home - probably sleep the whole day once he scared the garbage truck off at around 11:00am

I started out at the bank, no problems there, got the cashier's check for the title company.  Then I headed east, and stopped at that fence place.  I told them I was looking for about 25 pieces of stockade fencing, used if possible.  Sometimes they did have some used panels, but had none right now, so I talked to him about the cypress ones I saw advertised for $36 each.  He told me to call a week ahead of time and they would make them for me, and deliver them for $100, which I thought sounded like a good deal.  I could probably take eight or ten in the truck at a time, but it would NOT be fun.

When I got into town, after a lovely ride and an hour of NPR, I went straight to the Police "Beachside Substation".  I introduced myself to the front desk officer, Officer Monde.  I told him what I was up to, and he said that they would do some additional drive-by's and shine a light on the place a few times during the night.  He also gave me a form to fill out to allow them to arrest a tresspasser without me being there.  I later delivered this to the main Police station, and they told me that wouldn't be the case, since the house wasn't technically vacant.  They would call me if they picked anyone up, but if I want them arrested I would have to drive the hour over there.  Not something I look forward to, but I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.

Next stop was Grandview -  I had loaded the truck with a couple of trash bins, tools, cleaning supplies, bug spray, a card table and chairs, and a ladder, so when I got there I unloaded all that.  No, I hadn't closed yet, but the keys were still in that little Realtor thingie on the door and I knew the combo.  First thing I noticed when I went in was that the guy had not removed the furniture, so I called the Realtor and she said "it's yours - he doesn't want anything else to do with that house".  If you can imagine two giant green pillowy reclining blobs of pleather, you know what the couches look like.  There are some tables I will use, at least for now, but those green blobs will have to go on Craigslist in the "free" section.

I sprayed the inside and all around the outside with bug spray.  Next time I come back I get to clean the place up!  Then I walked around and took the photos I need for the fence permit, and a couple specific shots that Allstate had requested.  The insurance guy had also asked if the foundation was masonry all the way around, so I checked that out and called him to tell him that it was.  He said the policy would be in force when I closed at 2:00, and he would email the application forms for me to sign and return with a check.

By now I was sweating like a ________ (fill in your own colloquialism).  It was fun though, actually feeling like I was working on the place, and it was finally mine all mine.  This is a shot of the upstairs medicine cabinet, so cute - but don't you love the light fixtures?  That's an easy fix, doesn't worry me at all.

Next I got out my trusty lead paint test kit.  There was enough stuff in there to test about four areas, and I chose a couple of different windows with places where the layers of paint were peely and I could see down to the wood.  Guess what:  no lead detected there!  Kelly showed up after a little bit and recommended I test the outside paint, which I will do.  But I was glad to know I can work on the window frames without too much worry.  That's going to be a big job.

I found a piece of wood siding that I could remove to take back with me, but it kind of split - I don't know if it's usable to make the replacement pieces I need.  I'll talk to Dave at the trim place this weekend.  If not,  I do have a "plan B".

Then it was time to go to the closing, which everyone present said was the fastest closing they'd ever done.  It was a welcome break to cool off in the AC and rehydrate myself.  Plus I wolfed a protein bar and a coke on the way.  Fortunately the guy who was selling the house was already signed and gone - I really didn't want to meet him!  Next stop was City Hall, where I plunked down $216 to get the water and trash pickup turned on.  Then I had an hour to kill before Edward, the ADT guy showed up.  It was either hit the thrift store or deliver that tresspass form to the PD so I chose the latter.  I was happy to be getting so many things knocked off the list, but I did miss my doggies.

Back to the house, and we're almost done!  Edward was right on time, and did a great job listening to what I wanted and making his recommendations.  We decided on an assortment of motion sensors and door contact points, and a fire/smoke detector, and it's all wireless.  I was glad to know that I wouldn't have to maintain a land phone line just for the security system.   It functions like a cell phone, and I can even call 911 from the key pad.  When I am not there, and an alarm goes off, they call the house first, then the police or fire department.  This is pretty important to me to feel like my property is protected, as well as monitored at times when I'm there working, and in the future when I spend nights there.  Next plunk (more like a thunk):  $763 for the installation and I agreed to a $45 per month monitoring plan.  Ouch... but I believe necessary for the long term.

When I was putting the ADT sign up in the front yard, there were a couple of guys cutting the lawn at the architect's next door.  One of them suggested I put it up higher because he couldn't see it from the street.  I looked around for a wire or something to tie the thing to the porch, because at that time I was pooped and ready to go home, and did NOT feel like getting out any tools.  I found something to tie it to the porch rail, and went down to talk to the landscape guys - they said they had been cutting Mr. Leet's lawn for eight years.  Don gave me a card, and told me he also had a contractor's license and if I needed anything...  After a little chat about a tiny chihuahua puppy he was holding named Little Buddy I asked him about helping me with the fence project.  He said he would be interested, and he could also get me some discounts on the fence itself.  I'm going to call him this weekend.

I would love to write something catchy about my day starting and ending with fencing, but my brain is not cooperating.  It's 2:26am now, and I think I can go back to sleep.  A good day -- I'll let you know how tomorrow morning's garage sales go in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment