Thursday, July 1, 2010

9. Friends

There's a lot going on with this project.  At times it feels like all of a sudden it's zooming completely out of control.  It was barely a week ago that I didn't even know if I was getting the place, and now I'm right in the middle of it.  Next week I should be closing on the house, and I want to have a few things ready to go once that happens.

On closing day, I will visit the City again, and have the power and water turned on.  I will do what needs doin' to get the garbage and recycling picked up.  I already have the schedule for household trash, recycling, yard waste and bulk pickup.  I would like to meet with ADT that day to install a monitored security system, but I think we'll need power to do that so it may be delayed a day or two.

I will also have my permit applications ready for the fence and also for the replacement of the front door that's coming out.  Yesterday I talked with Ron at the permitting department and he told me what I'll need.  For the front door, I'll need the Product Approval form, on which I will show what is going to be put in place of the door (siding exactly like what is existing on the rest of the house).  For the fence, another Product Approval form, as well as a survey and a sketch of the proposed fence where I want it.

I'm also planning to take some bug spray - although I haven't seen the first cockroach, I'm going to give the whole house, interior and exterior, a thorough treatment.  I use a product made by Bayer that you buy in a concentrate and put into a sprayer - I swear by it for home pest control.  I love most bugs - I really try not to go overboard with pesticide for the sake of the bees and butterflies.  But I don't want any critters in the house.  Then the next time I go back I will be ready to give the place a thorough cleaning.

Anyway, that's all happening next week.  I have all kinds of things to tell you about but I must slow down and give a shout out to all my wonderful friends that give me the strength to take on this project.  As a single woman, something like this could seem like a daunting task.  And it does!!  I have times when I wonder "what the heck am I getting myself into?!"  It's a little scary - the expense and the expanse of what needs to be done in this house.  I'm not buying my dream home, I'm buying the shell of one, and putting my dream into it, and at times I wonder if it is more like a nightmare.  On Tuesday when I visited the house, the first time I'd been there when I knew it was actually going to be mine... I have to admit I was a little worried.  Everything seemed dirtier, creepier, more complicated to fix than it had before. The AC was disconnected.  The windows don't close.  There were some scary people out back yelling at each other.  I wondered if I was crazy for taking on this project.

But Jake (who with his wife Bobbie are two of my closest supports) was with me, and he proceeded with his jovial nature, taking one thing at a time, never a negative word from his mouth, reminding me that everything is possible if you have the time to take it slowly and do the job right.  I felt reassured.  And I remembered my friend Rob the builder, who is a top-notch home builder, but for some reason enjoys giving me free advice and kind words whenever I need them.  I have many other terrific friends in every trade, that I know I can call on at any time - whether it's for advice or a day's paid work - they are trusted advisers and are always ready to encourage me when things aren't looking so good.  Then there are my sisters.  Which include my biological sisters as well as an assortment of women friends that will field questions, listen to my venting, and always be there with a kind word when I need it.  Even my children, although being in their 20's it is understood that they are not all that concerned with what Mom is up to --  are also very supportive and have never discouraged me in any of my crazy endeavors.

I guess I just want to take the time to thank all the wonderful people in my life that give me the courage to take on something that I think would be impossible without their support.  I wouldn't want to do it without them.  That's why I'll be talking about them throughout this blog - I've already mentioned a few.  Their advice is priceless, and I appreciate them.

I also hope to make new friends through this process - I've already met a few at the City, and I'm sure there will be neighbors and others to add to the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment