Thursday, July 8, 2010

14. Big Day Tomorrow!

Great news!  The closing is set for Friday (tomorrow) at 2:00pm.  They are really cutting it close, but I guess that adds to the overall excitement of the process.  There was some back-and-forth about who is supposed to pay taxes, and some unpaid 2008 taxes that showed up... thanks once again to Kelly it's all straightened out now.   Nothing like a title company to keep you on the edge of your seat.  Don't ask me what that means, I know it wasn't funny.

So...  this morning I went to the power company on line and got the power all set up to come on tomorrow.  Frankly, I was surprised that they didn't ask for any verification that I actually owned the place.  Somehow they didn't ask for a deposit either... guess I didn't show up on any of their "most wanted" lists.  The other utilities are another story - I will have to go into the city for that.  Water, sewer, and trash are all on one bill.  I did download the brochure from the solid waste department, so I would know when trash days are, and exactly what I can put in there.  I was happy to find that they are pretty cooperative about what they will pick up!  If I am doing remodeling as a homeowner, they will take construction debris generated by permitted work, as long as it's bagged or piled up neatly for them.  Then there's the recycling, and I also got info on hazardous waste, like leftover paint which will have to go to a special site near the landfill.  They recycle usable paint, I think - which is kind of cool.   Yard waste is mulched at another facility, so they'll take any of that kind of stuff I put out on Wednesdays.

Here's a list of what I would like to do when I go over to Grandview tomorrow, along with the closing at 2pm.  You all know how much I love a list!  Anyone want to place bets on how much of this will actually get done?  It seems like a big list for one day, but it all really needs doing tomorrow except no. 3, so I'm hoping for an 88% success rate.  Yes, I'm a dork.

1.  Very first thing is to go the bank and get a bank check for the settlement funds.

2.  There's a fence place on a rural road on the way that I want to stop at.  I've been told that they sell used stockade fence panels that they have left when they replace an old fence.  I'm going to check pricing and see if they have enough in good condition that I can use, because that's my next big materials expense.

3.  I'd like to visit the Police Department around the corner - I think I mentioned this in a previous post.

4.  I will take specific photos and measurements that I will need to pull permits for the front door and fence work that I'd like to start the week after next.

5.  Closing at 2pm.

6.  I have to find a piece of wood siding that I can pry loose, to bring back here and have some new pieces made for the repairs that will be done.

7.  I will do a couple of random lead paint tests, particularly on window sills.  Everywhere else I'm just going to paint over what's there already - the windows are the only place I plan to disturb the existing paint.

8.  I'll spray the perimeter of the house, and the interior, for bugs.

9.  The guy from ADT is coming at 4pm to do a walk through and talk about options.

I emailed the inspections to Allstate, so they can get the policy all set up for tomorrow.  I also gave a head's up to Rob the Builder, hoping he's still free week after next to start some work.

I have to apologize for my lack of photos, I know that's what keeps a blog interesting - at least I like the ones with lots of pictures.  I  promise when work starts, I'll have more interesting things to show you.  But for now you'll just have to be happy with one, of the wicker chair I bought on Tuesday.  It came with the cushion, and I had some paint, but I did have to spend $12 more on paint so that brought the price to $21.  I still think it was worth it!

Balance forward:  $283

$21  wicker chair and cushion

Remainder:  $272

No comments:

Post a Comment