Tuesday, August 24, 2010

43. Random Updation

Since I took the day off today, thought I'd take a minute to update you on a couple of things.  Yesterday I didn't take any pictures because I worked installing outlets and switches all day.  I am almost done - all I have left to do in the electrical department is to put up a ceiling box on the porch for the fan, wire two more switches, hang the light fixture in the sun room and secure and rehang that one ceiling fan in the living room that I yanked down a week ago.  Hopefully I can get all that done before lunch tomorrow.

The AC company, Broward Factory Air, should be coming out on Thursday to begin their installation.  Supposedly they will get everything done that day except the new ducting to the upstairs.  I had told you I was getting a high-efficiency system (16 SEER rating) for $6500 and would qualify for a $1500 tax rebate.  Well that has changed, since I found out I can't change my homestead exemption to the house in Daytona without claiming that that is my permanent residence.  You know, there was a time in my life when I might have pulled that off - it probably wouldn't take much besides changing the address on my driver's license.  But I'm not interested in being dishonest - no matter how you twist it, this place is not going to be my primary residence and I won't lie about it.  So... no $1500 tax credit for me.  I let Broward know about this decision last week, and we met and re-worked the numbers.  I agreed to purchase a system with a 15 SEER rating, a very slight drop in efficiency, for $5700 instead.  I will still get the new ductwork, air handler, heat pump and water heater, but it's costing about $700 more because of the loss of the tax break.

I have been keeping track of all my expenses, along with my hours on the project and $25 per trip to Daytona Beach in gas and mileage.  After the AC installation I will be at the $80,000 mark for what I have put into the house.  I really feel good about the numbers, I believe it is worth much more right now, never mind what it will be worth in a few years.  I have saved some money here and there, and a few items have gone over budget - but with good reason.  I have spent more than double what I had allotted for a fence, but that was because my original plan was not a good one - if we just did the wooden fence, it would be just another back yard with a whipped-up fence.  Now I have a retaining wall that will last a lifetime, and a drainage system. and my yard won't ever ease it's way out into the street again.  It's a nice sized back yard in which I can barbecue and entertain guests, garden, and let the dogs play around.  I really love it, as much as I complain about the cost.

Don and I met yesterday to go over plans to apply for the City "Facade Grant".  In that grant proposal will be a concrete driveway, removal of all the asbestos siding and painting of the house's exterior.  It will take a while to get the proposals together (I have to have two quotes on each item) and get the City's approval, so in the mean time I will continue to work away on the inside.  After the electrical there will be some paneling going up, some work on the windows and getting the kitchen and at least one bedroom put together.  Honestly, things are moving faster than I could have hoped, and I would love to be able to accommodate guests by the third week of October which is Biketoberfest.  Of course work will be going on long after that!

Another thing I didn't tell you about... sorry I've been too pooped to think of these things most days... was a phone call I received about a week ago.  The Realtor, who seems to know everyone in this town, got a call from her friend at City Code Enforcement that I needed to modify my fence permit.  I kind of knew this - changing from a wood fence to 1/2 block and 1/2 wood is a major deal.  I was lazy though and didn't follow through.  Anyhow, I immediately dropped in to the City permitting department, and told them about what had happened - that when construction started, we decided that a retaining wall was really necessary.  I was very honest and asked them what should I do at this point.  I also asked them about the stairs that Rob and Ken built, since I had a feeling that really should have been permitted from the beginning as well.  They were very helpful - you have to remember the City is on my side, since I'm doing my improvements one of the neighborhoods they are so intent on improving!  Nothing to it - a new permit for the stairs, and a revision for the fence and I was out of there.  Once again, nothing hanging over my head and when the Code guys wander through the neighborhood I can wave and say hello without worry.

I may sound like I know what I'm doing all the time, and have a plan, and  so on, but there are plenty of times when I wonder if I'm going to be able to do this, when I wish someone else was in charge to take the pressure off.  But it doesn't last long.  I just put those doubts to bed and keep moving - I have such a wonderful support network of friends, confidantes and volunteers that I never feel like this is a one-woman job.

I spent about $35 at the thrift stores today.  Yes, Kathleen, that is the scrabble game I am going to kick your butt on when you come to visit the beach house!!  Also some more linens, throw rugs and cookware.

Got another addition to my set of Revereware... this one needed a little work-over with my trusty and favorite cleanser:  Barkeeper's Friend.  And a cool trash can for somewhere.

This Egret print also caught my eye - Florida, but no flamingos please!!

I have been buying a lot of stuff willy-nilly, but today I took an inventory of what I have and really need.  I decided I'm good on  towels (unless I see some that are too fabulous to pass up).  I need sheet sets for a king mattress, end tables and a dresser for the bedrooms.  Aside from all the miscellaneous, the big items I still need, that I will probably need to buy new are:

Flat cook-top electric range
Microwave oven
Toaster oven
Stainless steel sink
King mattress set
Queen mattress set
Nice barbecue grill


Balance Forward:  $164

$30  today's haul

Remainder:  $134

No comments:

Post a Comment