Tuesday, August 10, 2010

35. Buried Treasure

Let's start out with the boring stuff.  Today I continued on with the wiring.  It's a slow process for me, but it's fun - I look at it like a puzzle or a mystery to solve.  How do I take the switch for the garbage disposal over there and use it to power the overhead lights over here?  Then what do I use to power the garbage disposal on the other side of the room where I want it?  Good news is I will get to try everything out before the drywall goes back up - if  there are any hiccups they can be corrected without major reconstructive surgery.

Another reason why I like working alone:  If I come up with an idea, I can just shift gears and go with it.  This is that cute little under-the-stair pantry.  At the last minute I decided to put in an overhead light, which will require a little different take on the ceiling in there - but no problem.  A couple of 2x4's and I'm good to go.  The power for that light will run through a switch that will feed from the same outlet that the fridge will be on.  It's usually best to keep lights on one circuit, and outlets on another (ever turn on a hair dryer and have the lights dim?)  but I think for one little overhead recessed light, it's not going to draw enough power that it will compete with the fridge.  There are only so many ways to work this wiring... a little compromise is required now and then.

While I was working inside, Don got busy prepping my back yard for the fence.  This sounds simple, but it turned out to be a little more work than I thought it would!  It's ok - a fence is one of those things that is so visible outside the house, you really have to take the time to get it just right.  First order of business:  yank out that boug.  Yes folks, the boug may have won that previous battle but it lost the war.  It is now sleeping with the fishes (proverbially of course).  That humungous rope coiled menacingly next to the plant is what they had to use to pull it out with a truck.  I'll spare the picture of it's final demise, I at least owe it that.  I had to promise all the neighbors that I would plant something beautiful in it's place as they were all so sad to see it go.

They also removed an old chain link fence, and they went to town digging - with the intent of leveling the area for the new wood fence.  It was a slope, so we had planned the fence to step down every couple of panels until it reached the level of the street.  At some point in this the guy in the picture digging came inside and said "you might want to come and see what we found".  I was a little worried at first - he looked so serious.  Well it was great news:  There was a nice footer and a couple of rows left from a retaining wall that had been buried with dirt for many many years.  Cool old style block, with shells in it.  Don is going to build it up to four blocks high and I'll have a level back yard, AND a level fence which will look much better I think.  It's funny but I had been looking at the houses down the street that had already been remodeled - with little walls and cute fences and rock gardens... I was feeling a little envious and wondering about the wisdom of slapping up a 6' privacy fence with absolutely no personality at all.  So on top of this wall (which will eventually be painted some awesome color) he's going to put a fence that has a kind of lattice panel at the top of each one.  It will be very nice, I'm sure.

This is the view looking down from the porch - if you can see the dotted pink line that's the outline of the little wall.  The dirt is all just mounded up in the middle right now, but will be spread out nicely when the wall is finished.  That round white thing is where Don cut down an old dead stump.  I did feel like we found buried treasure today!

Tomorrow they are building the wall, and I don't have to show up at all, but I don't think I can stay away!  If they take Thursday off to let the concrete cure, I'll take a break that day.  I was going to have Steven help me that day, but I have another project especially for us to work on together next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment