Friday, August 20, 2010

41. Boardwalk and Park Place

The term "day off" is really a misnomer.  Ok, I didn't tear anything down or wire anything up - haven't even gotten sweaty enough to take a shower today.  But I've been busy!  I have a lot of catching up to do around my own house - the grass is so high some visiting kids last week were making a game of "which patch of grass is the tallest".  My weed eater has been on the fritz, and I haven't had time to mow.  I don't know why I brought that up because I didn't do that today either.

I spent the day hitting the thrift stores - gotta see what's out there that I might have missed.  I know I mentioned waaaay back that I would be talking about colors and I'll touch on that here.  All during this process, I've been toying with color ideas in my head - I need to pick a color for the exterior of the house and a front door color.  I have to decide what color to paint the walls on the first floor, and how to treat that cool ceiling and all those beams - do I paint them an accent color, leave them white, what do I do!?  I have a few ideas, and I'll share a little of the progress with you here.

This is a page from a Pottery Barn catalog I got in the mail recently.  I will never buy anything from it, but it has pretty pictures!  And in it I saw the color schemes I want to use in the bedrooms.  I've already decided that one room will be "Boardwalk" and one will be "Park Place".  The Boardwalk reference is obvious - beach, 1920's, Daytona Beach Boardwalk.  Park Place refers to the street I grew up on in Sea Cliff, Long Island NY, just a couple of blocks from the beach - and that is the room I am going to do in this theme.
Pale sage green, lavender, sky blue, cream, white and natural accents - 'shabby chic' and gardeny.  This will be a more girly room, and probably the one I will stay in when I am there.

The other room, which is the smaller of the two, will be "Boardwalk" and done in darker blues and dark woods, maybe a little nautical motif here and there.  This picture will give you an idea of what I am going for.

When I am shopping around, I think of these themes, and it helps me pinpoint things that I might be able to use.  Right now I am picking up random bedding, curtains, and accessories that I think will fit in either room.  That being said, I want you to know I am not into shells, lighthouses, or fish nets with starfish dangling from them etc.  No Gorton's Fisherman lamps.  If there is any "beachside kitsch" it will be the odd item, and it will have to be something really special.  I would like those of you who do the thrift store circuit to keep an eye out for something for me though:  I would like to have artwork that represents marine life, but more of the zoological kind - I've been hoping to find an old biological illustration print of a horseshoe crab, and things like that.  Maybe I'll draw one of my own.


I found these three small framed goodies today - the sandpipers are a signed and numbered print of a watercolor, and the flowers are dried and pressed.  The other is cutesy, but I just liked it.



Today was also a beach towel bonanza day - sometimes I see none, but today I hit the jackpot.  On the left below is the pile - this isn't even all of them.  Underneath is a bed skirt I may use in the Park Place room.  On the right is  some more misc.  Some really nice waverly valances with blue hydrangeas and polka dots on them.  Also a fuzzy bath rug and really nice cotton sheets.  The clock is one I already had - of course it has to go to Grandview!


I also picked up some mugs and glasses - have I told you how much I love Goo Gone?  I use it to take off stickers and any other unidentified sticky stuff, and the grease pencil they use to price things at the thrift store.  If you've never used it, you should try it, it works on skin, clothing and everything.  Plus it smells orangey-good.


Last but not least, I'm not big on schmaltzy coffee cups, but I liked this one.  At the bottom it says "Apache Blessing" which might be BS but I wish this for you all anyway! 


Balance Forward:  $213 
$49  lots of misc.  
Remainder:  $164

No comments:

Post a Comment