Thursday, August 5, 2010

32. Spontaneous Rearrangery

Well what would you call it when you make a plan, change it fifteen times until it's perfect, then when the carpenters are actually putting it together they suggest something different that actually makes the most sense of all?  That wouldn't be a very good title for a blog post.  I know I've mentioned "Plan A" before - I chuckle at it's lack of thought, it's high-minded "first-in-line" snobbery!!  How small it seems when I compare it to "Plan Q" which is actually the one that will be put into place.

Mostly I'm talking about the position of that little 1/2 wall you see in the picture - I had it laid out on paper, every which way, but once we got to really putting it up it all fell into place.  Rob and Ken, with their experience in this sort of thing, helped to steer me in the right direction and I love what we came up with.  I end up with more counter space and all the switches in the right place, and the appropriate amount of space to walk through the kitchen.  This is hard to do in 2D on graph paper!  You can also see the under-stair pantry on the left...

Here's the menfolk working away getting it all just right.  That opening on the right is a former doorway, in a really dumb place, into the kitchen.  That sag you see at the top of the space is not an optical illusion - it's a result of the sag we talked about in an earlier post, that has been prevented from continuing... and I'll just have to do a little 'cosmetic adjustification' to make things look as good as they can.  I love what we came up with for this opening though... see next picture!!

I was standing in the kitchen with a beautiful breeze blowing through, from the front of the house to the back and I thought "what a shame to close up that whole wall."  So, I told Rob as we were working "I have a Crazy Idea" and he said he wasn't scared, go ahead.  I said I wanted to put a pass-through there, with a little ledge, so the breeze could continue on through (outlined in pink in the picture).  Imagine leaning in and asking for a glass of water on your way up to bed!  I think it's going to be cute as heck.  Of course Ken whipped it out in nothing flat.

At the end of the day we ended up with this pile of lath and other wood that had taken the fast way down off the porch.  I later loaded it into the truck and brought it home for my fire pit.  There was lots of yellow heart pine - 2x4s and trim wood - that I'm saving for other projects, it's too cool to just throw away.

I made it home in time for a quick shower after which I ran out and met the goils for a drink before hitting the Depot for a sheet of plywood and a couple of other things for the morning.  Wrapping this up at around 10pm and going straight to bed!  Back at Grandview at 8:00am - finishing the staircase landing, installing a door, and finishing the floor in the pantry.   Then we'll have a break from carpentry until some time next week - I heard today that my cypress siding will be finished by Monday but I kinda want to get the fence installed first if I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment