Thursday, September 9, 2010

50. Two Blocks From Joyland


I won't be able to post this until I am home, but I wanted to capture the moment so I'm writing this as I sit in my living room at Grandview, having coffee and a Krispy Kreme doughnut (or three). Both Rufus and Roscoe are sleeping at my feet. It's 8:00am.

It's Wednesday, and I've been here since Monday (my very first sleepover), and what a couple of days it has been. I learned that the street light that is just out front of the house shines right into the bedroom windows (it's only about 20 feet away). I didn't have a curtain for that spot, but it's going to need more than that anyway – I think that's where I'll put some 2” plantation blinds. I did staple up some curtains over the other, big window in that bedroom, which is ok until I find just the right curtain rod.

The AC works great. I have towels stuffed in the holes in the floor in the kitchen, but there are lots more that I just can't plug up right now but man it's nice to have that cold air running!! I know it may be a little wasteful, but I have been comfortable and it doesn't (quite) run non-stop. It's worth it though, I'll be turning it off when I go back to Apopka anyway, so it all balances out, no?

I put the super-clean on the bathroom upstairs, and discovered that the toilet in there rocks when you sit on it. Also that if you splash water over the back of the tub it turns up in the kitchen! Add that to the “things to caulk” list. I finally took the stickers off the bedroom door (yes, even the one that said “CLOTHING OPTIONAL BEYOND THIS POINT”). I burned through three Mr. Clean Magic Erasers on that same door – it had just a little (!!) grimy buildup from years of... well, I'd rather not think about it. It's all in the past, my wonderful little house is feeling the love now, I promise you. It is also feeling more like a home.

Monday I was taken on my first trip to the beach since buying this house. It wasn't planned - yes, you read right, I said AMY DID SOMETHING THAT WASN'T PLANNED. I brought some food from home, and Don had offered to bring his barbecue grill over since there isn't a stove, microwave, or even toaster in the house.  I was planning to cook at the house, but what I didn't know is that this guy comes fully equipped for a little beach-side tailgate cookout. Chairs, grill, even music. It was a fun time, and I even took a dip, which I hadn't done in decades.




As a parting shot I had to throw these in:  on the left is my dad in probably 1930 at Whitestone beach on Long Island. On the right is me in Fort Lauderdale in maybe 1968... and this past Monday in 2010, I again felt that childish bliss, splashing around like an idiot in the water.  What an incredible blessing to have a day like this - I hope for many more.  Thanks again Pops.

Don't worry, the next post will be back to normal:  progress shots of yucky drywall being repaired and a little roof-top drama.  I just had to share this wonderful day with you.  I hope if one day you visit my little beach side oasis, you will also experience some of the peace and joy that I am feeling as this old house comes to life again.
.


No comments:

Post a Comment