Friday, September 3, 2010

48. Le A/C: Fait Acompli!!

No I am not going to bring up the subject of the burned out building again.  You'll find out when it happens, but I promise not to mention it again until there is some video for you.

Big news is:  The AC system and hot water heater are in and functioning!  That's it, done - amazing huh?  I was standing in the kitchen when they first cranked it up and I thought - man that breeze is nice today.  Wait a minute - that's no ocean breeze, and it's DRY!!  Ahhh, so refreshing.  Then we shut it off because somebody didn't have a 16" x 20" filter.  It's ok, I didn't want it on anyway, as dirty as the house is, and as many huge wafty gaping cracks I have around some of the windows.   I think I may try a sleepover next week though - I think it will be nice enough at night that the AC won't have to work to hard to make it sleepable.  I'm anxious to start working two or three days at a time and then having the rest of the week at home - saving on gas and my own energy.

Here's what the return in the stairwell looks like.  The wind was really whipping through there today.  Love it.





And I am left with a challenging but not impossible situation in the second bedroom (especially since it's nice and cool in here now).  I'm thinking of blocking all that duct work in, and leaving just enough room on the right for a few shelves for square baskets or storage crates.  What do you think? Nice place for a full length mirror on the left, maybe.

I am shamefully remiss about taking enough pictures of Don and Sean finishing the fence.  This is one of the last panels, and it is cut and installed so beautifully to match a concrete step-down along side the neighbor's building.  I will get a better picture of it next time I promise - something distracted me from doing so today - what else is new?  They will be back Saturday to finish up the last of the fence, the gate, and install the door in the basement.  I don't know if I will be there - it is so hard to stay away but I'm getting sick of that drive!!

Here's some stuff I worked on inside - you can't really make it out but I framed up the inside of the pantry so it will be ready for the bead board paneling I'm going to use in there.  Made a ceiling and a place for the little recessed light.  Somebody suggested I put a humidor in there - I thought about a little wine fridge, but cigars?  I haven't smoked one of those in years!  (hah- just kidding).

I also finished the tongue-in-groove paneling for the half wall between the kitchen and dining room. I'm working my way around all the wood projects, because the next step will be drywall.  Then a whole lot of caulk and PAINT!  Which is my favorite part, sort of the culmination of construction.  Then it's on to the fun stuff - decorating and furnishing.

It's nice now to be done with some of the bigger expenses, so things can slow down a little.  I think with two or three days a week there, I can personally get a lot done.  I'll still need a bit of help here and there, especially when it comes to the exterior of the house, but the first big push is now over.

No comments:

Post a Comment