Monday, June 28, 2010

5. Collecting

I don't call it shopping - that's a term I reserve for the grocery store.  It's more like finding things that are supposed to be mine that just haven't met me yet.  I believe that all the items I need for my renovation project are out there, somewhere, waiting for me.  And with a little patience they, and I, will eventually come together.  Now obviously, some building materials will need to be purchased retail and I'm sure a few of my posts will involve foraging expeditions to Home Depot.  But what I'm talking about today is in essence recycling - finding those items most commonly used in a home through garage and yard sales, and thrift stores.

I also enjoy collecting old tools and things that I keep in the studio just because I like their shapes, like the pictures I've included here.


I have my Mom to thank for this particular addiction (affliction, whatever).  I remember as a child my Dad saying "why are you going to garage sales, when we already have a garage?"  Then he would go back to reading his newspaper and we were off.  Mom and me, heading out on a glistening Saturday morning, I with my handful of pocket change and a world of possibilities awaiting.  I learned how to count, add, make change.  I learned that I could have a bagful of coloring books and crayons for a fraction of the cost at Woolworth's.  Stuffed animals, insect collecting equipment - butterfly nets and books about them - and art supplies would find their way into my playroom downstairs.  No Barbies though.  Please.

I enjoyed some of these same times as a mother with my own daughter.  She was so cute when she was little that she would leave every garage sale with something that someone would give her for free.  I imagine this is a common occurrence - who can resist a sweet child counting out his or her nickels to pay for an action figure or little picture book?  As the years went on, we discovered the best thrift stores in our area.  Some were great for furniture, others for clothes and toys.  It seemed like so much more fun than Walmart or other chain stores - because the inventory changed so often you could go back every week and see new things!  I am proud to say that my daughter has carried this tradition to a degree that I never could have imagined.  She earns an enviable full-time salary working part time from home, re-selling vintage clothing that she purchases in these same thrift stores.  She maintains an online store and has an inventory of amazing clothing and her own shipping department.

I guess I've veered from the topic a bit, this is supposed to be about my renovation project, right? 
Well it's all background to explain why I do things the way I do.  As I said in my last post, I developed a list of items I will need, all the way from tools to do the remodeling, to furnishings, bedding and kitchenware.  All of these things can be purchased from garage sales or thrift stores, if I'm willing to wait to find them.  I'm not talking about crap either - you'd be amazed what people are practically giving away!  I don't buy things that are broken or stained, but just the opposite.  The best finds are the ones that originally were so expensive I would never buy them new:  like huge fat 100% cotton towels, or beautiful high-end furniture.  That being said, I'll tell you I do draw a line somewhere.  There are a three things that are almost always better purchased new:  electronics, power tools, and mattresses.  People just don't throw the good ones away.  I also won't buy pre-owned  underwear, but that fact doesn't really apply to this project, does it?

I decided not to publish the "TO BUY" list here in full - just imagine your home completely empty ... what would you need to fill it?  That's what's on the list.  Instead what I will do is end each future post with any items that I have found from the list, and the price that I paid for them.  It's a scavenger hunt!  I'm giving myself a $500 allowance to begin with, although it may take more since there are a few large items such as washer and dryer.  I'll keep a running total after each day so you can root for me (I hope!) to get the house beautifully furnished for as little as possible.  This first entry is going to include several things that I have picked up in months past, so those won't come out of the budget.

Items I already have that are going to Grandview:
step ladder                      trowel
paint roller and tray      buckets
wheelbarrow                   (2) bicycles
hose                                  laundry basket
hose end sprayer             shovel 
leaf rake                           machete
2' level                              (2) beach chairs

Saturday I did a little research on Craigslist, and chose a few garage sales that seemed to have a lot of tools.  I knew I would only hit a handful of sales before it was too hot to enjoy it.  Tools are my first priority, since I don't really need to furnish the place until the repair work is done.  I have a full set at home, but I would like to outfit Grandview with it's own compliment of tools and equipment, so I don't have to haul them over there every time I make the trip.  Also, it sucks to be over there and thing "oh man, if only I had my ________ ".

I have set up a staging area using crates and 5-gallon paint buckets to store my finds, until after the closing when I can bring things into the house.  Here is the list of items I picked up at garage sales on Saturday.  Each day's finds, if there are any, will be listed at the end of each post from now on.  I'll only show pictures if there is something interesting to show - here I'd like you to notice that two of the paint roller covers have their original prices marked at $8.49 each.  A lovely red hand truck and yellow lawn sprinkler are not in the picture.

$5  hand truck/dolly
$5  bolt cutters
$1  (4) screw drivers
$2  (5) paint roller covers
$1  caulk gun
$5  electric hand sander
$0  Nelson sprinkler

$481 remaining


I hope I don't sound preachy, but if you haven't tried this method of "shopping" it's worth a go, especially in these difficult economic times.  Take the kids!  As well as being a fantastic way to pass along to your children the value of money, you will teach them there's more to life than the mall.  Make it fun for them, and they will remember these times fondly for the rest of their lives.



No comments:

Post a Comment